Thu, 01 Nov|
Sydney Clinical Skills and Simulation Ce
Prevention and Management CICO Events: Provider Training
Prevention and Management of Can't Intubate Can't Oxygenate Events: Provider Training Course $847 This course covers the skills and knowledge required to deliver a comprehensive course focused on the prevention and management of CICO events.
Time & Location
01 Nov 2018, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
Sydney Clinical Skills and Simulation Ce, Level 6, Kolling Building, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards NSW 2065, Australia
About The Event
Prevention and Management of Can't Intubate Can't Oxygenate Events: Providor Training Course
Course Code: CICOP 011118
This course is relevant to consultant anaesthetists and ATY2 or later registrars involved in the delivery of simulation and/or skills-based education.
The course is a recognised emergency response activity in ANZCA’s CPD program with the following recognition codes:-
- Can’t Intubate, Can’t Oxygenate (CICO) – ER-17-CICO-081
- 7 hours small group interactive (ANZCA Cat 3/L2)
This full day course addresses the specific knowledge and range of skills required to deliver a comprehensive course focusing on the prevention and management of the “Can’t Intubate, Can’t Oxygenate” (CICO) situation.
To develop skills to run immersive simulation training (IST) in a range of health-care settings.
The course focuses on teaching the following topics
• The role of human factors in the management of the unanticipated difficult airway
• Utilisation of the Vortex Approach to optimise upper airway rescue
• Transition to CICO rescue
• Communication and heuristics during difficult airway management
• The Royal Perth Hospital CICO algorithm
• Cannula cricothyroidotomy technique
• Scalpel – bougie technique
• Scalpel-finger-cannula technique
• Emergency jet oxygenation techniques
• Melker conversion techniques
• Delivering CICO training: teaching techniques, equipment, props, resources, etc
Topics not covered include:
Wet-lab training techniques; advanced debriefing/simulation instruction; Assessment.
Participants will work in small groups with instructors experienced in both clinical simulation and CICO training.
Maximum 12 particpants per course
Sydney Clinical Skills & Simulation Centre
1 day course 0830 - 1630
Dr Adam Rehak MBBS FANZCA