Prevention and Management CICO Events: Provider Training
Time & Location
About The Event
Prevention and Management of Can't Intubate Can't Oxygenate Events: Providor Training Course
Course Code: CICOP 220618
This course is relevant to consultant anaesthetists and ATY2 or later registrars involved in the delivery of simulation and/or skills-based education.
The course is a recognised emergency response activity in ANZCA’s CPD program with the following recognition codes:-
- Can’t Intubate, Can’t Oxygenate (CICO) – ER-17-CICO-081
- 7 hours small group interactive (ANZCA Cat 3/L2)
This full day course addresses the specific knowledge and range of skills required to deliver a comprehensive course focusing on the prevention and management of the “Can’t Intubate, Can’t Oxygenate” (CICO) situation.
To develop skills to run immersive simulation training (IST) in a range of health-care settings.
The course focuses on teaching the following topics
• The role of human factors in the management of the unanticipated difficult airway
• Utilisation of the Vortex Approach to optimise upper airway rescue
• Transition to CICO rescue
• Communication and heuristics during difficult airway management
• The Royal Perth Hospital CICO algorithm
• Cannula cricothyroidotomy technique
• Scalpel – bougie technique
• Scalpel-finger-cannula technique
• Emergency jet oxygenation techniques
• Melker conversion techniques
• Delivering CICO training: teaching techniques, equipment, props, resources, etc
Topics not covered include:
Wet-lab training techniques; advanced debriefing/simulation instruction; Assessment.
Participants will work in small groups with instructors experienced in both clinical simulation and CICO training.
Maximum 12 particpants per course
Sydney Clinical Skills & Simulation Centre
1 day course 0830 - 1630
Dr Adam Rehak MBBS FANZCA