Fri, 20 Sept|
Sydney Clinical Skills and Simulation Ce
Epidural Analgesia for Labour (1)
Epidural Analgesia for Labour $545 Provides a comprehensive introduction to epidural anaesthesia for labour that integrates the technical and non-technical components of the procedure.
Time & Location
20 Sept 2019, 7:30 am – 11:30 am
Sydney Clinical Skills and Simulation Ce, Level 6, Kolling Building, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards NSW 2065, Australia
About The Event
Epidural Analgesia for Labour
Course Code: EPI 010318
Anaesthetic registrars with little prior experience of epidurals and anaesthetists (consultant and GP) seeking refresher training
To provide participants with a comprehensive introduction to epidural analgesia for labour that integrates non-technical and technical components of the procedures.
1. Interact and communicate with the labouring mother.
2. Explain risks and obtain consent
3. Prepare and position the mother effectively
4. Demonstrate competency in procedures such as:
a. Identification of landmarks
b. Ultrasound scanning of anatomy
c. Needle and catheter techniques
d. Loss of resistance
5. Establish and trouble shoot analgesia
6. Manage common complications
7. Monitor their progress in the workplace and employ reflective learning to encourage ongoing improvement
Blended learning using eLearning & small group practical training. The curriculum is based on a patient centred whole of task approach to procedures developed by the centre that addresses technical and non-technical tasks relevant to epidural. The latter includes a communications module that addresses consent and communication with patients during painful procedures. The course also develops methods of self-assessment and reflective practice to enable continuing improvement beyond the course. Includes web based open access audit and reflection tools.
• Hands-on Skills Workshops
• Simulated problem based learning case simulations
• Communication role play
• ELearning & video
• Epidural simulator
• Human anatomy models & Actors
Maximum 12 doctors per course.
Sydney Clinical Skills & Simulation Centre
1 day course 0830 - 1630
A/Prof Leonie Watterson